Power-boat.co.uk |  Boating Abroad

  • Boating Abroad

    Our Advice for Boating outside the UK

    Are you going on holiday this year to any of the countries listed below?

    Belgium, France, Italy, Poland,

    Austria, Belarus, Bulgaria, Croatia,

    Czech Republic, Finland, Germany,

    Hungary, Ireland, Lithuania,

    Luxembourg, Netherlands,

    Romania, Serbia, Slovakia,


    If the answer is yes, and you are planning to use a boat (either your own or a charter boat) whilst there; you need to think about your International Boat Driving Licence.

    Whilst the UK doesn't require any formal licence or qualifications to drive a boat for pleasure, many countries in Europe and the rest of the world do.

    Qualifications for Boating in Europe;

    When driving a boat in coastal waters abroad you may be required to hold an International Certificate of Competence (The International Boat Licence).

    This means you have completed the appropriate training (such as the RYA Powerboat Level 2) to helm a boat of a certain size in coastal waters.

    If you are planning to explore many of the inland waterways that france and continental Europe have to offer, you are required to undertake a short theory test (just like driving on the roads). This test can either be taken at our centre in Putney with one of our instructors or can be taken online from the comfort of your own armchair at home!

    Much like the theory test on the roads the inland waterways test consists in most cases of self study; however, our instructors are always happy to answer any questions you may have - please ask!

    If you would like any further information on boating abroad and to find out which licences you may need please send us an enquiry.